What is ISO?
International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is the largest International Standard developer in the world. The International Standards set in place by ISO make business all around the world better. The standards set specifications for products, services and systems of businesses and manufacturers. The standards also exist to help ensure quality, safety and efficiency in the workplace.
There are more than 19,500 different International Standards across almost every industry. U.S. Nameplate Co. adheres to management systems standards set in place by ISO and is in the process of becoming ISO 9001:2008 certified.
The standards set in place by ISO ensure manufacturing processes and products are safe, reliable and of good quality.
What is Quality Management and Management Standards?
Quality management includes quality planning, control, assurance, and improvement to ensure and organizations keeps their product or service improved and consistent.
Quality management is best when ran under a system. A management system lays out a set of procedures and practices that an organization should follow to meet goals and expectations.
ISO 9001:2008 is a quality management system standard that provides companies across the world, with a model system to follow and adhere to.
The quality management system standard ISO 9001:2008, is based upon the following principles:
- Customer Focus – Understanding customer needs and expectations.
- Leadership – Finding purpose and direction of company leadership.
- Involvement of People– Creating community within an organization.
- Process Approach– Creating and following an organized process.
- System Approach to Management– Finding and utilizing an efficient and effective method.
- Continual Improvement– A constant improvement and measure of performance.
- Factual Approach to Decision Making– Basing decisions on factual data analysis and information.
- Mutually Beneficial Supplier Relationships – Increasing ability of organizations and
Becoming ISO 9001:2008 Certified
Companies and manufacturers interested in becoming ISO 9001:2008 certified do so to add credibility to their services and products. ISO creates standards, however ISO does not grant certification. Only an accredited certification body can grant companies with ISO 9001:2008 certification.
To locate an accredited certification body, contact the national accreditation body visit the International Accreditation Forum.
For more information about ISO 9001:2008 certifications and other ISO Standards, visit http://www.iso.org.